The 2022 Supercars season is about to begin and for the first time in 23 years, Sydney Motorsport Park will host the season opener. After a huge 6 weeks, everyone from PremiAir Racing is excited to get round one underway.
Chris, in the #22 PremiAir Coca-Cola Racing Commodore and the recent birthday boy; Garry in the #76 PremiAir Subway Racing Supercar is locked and loaded for the weekend ahead.
The season will kick off with not one, but two gruelling 77-lap races; one on the Saturday night under lights, and another on the Sunday afternoon. All eyes will be on the sky as the rain is set to continue across the weekend and could make for some nail-biting racing!
Every session of the event will be broadcast live on Channel Seven and Foxtel (Fox Sports 506). Session times are below so you don’t miss a thing. Head to our social platforms (links below) to keep up to date with the team as we spearhead our first Supercar races.
Friday 4th March
15:15-15:55 AEDT / Practice 1
18:10-18:50 AEDT / Practice 2
Saturday 5>th March
14:45-15:00 AEDT / Qualifying: Race 1
16:30-17:10 AEDT / Top Ten Shootout: Race 1
19:10 AEDT / Race 1: 77 Laps
Sunday 6th March
10:50-11:05 AEDT / Qualifying: Race 2
12:05-12:45 AEDT / Top Ten Shootout: Race 2
14:30 AEDT / Race 2: 77 Laps
- Qualifying lap record – 1m27.7428s Scott Mclaughlin, DJR Team Penske, Dunlop Soft Tyre, 2020.
- Race Lap Record – 1m298424s Jamie Whincup, Triple Eight, Dunlop Super Soft Tyre, 2018.
- The Safety Car has appeared in 2022 of the 70 races held at SMP – 31.4% of all races
- Five races have been red flagged at SMP.
- The opening round of the 2022 championship is the sixth straight round held in New South Wales (4 at SMP late last year and one at Bathurst).